My Motto

Hop on. Ride hard. Repeat



Saturday, August 20, 2011

Review for Specialized BG RBX Bib Short

Lately it has seemed like everywhere I turn, I am hearing how great bib shorts are.  I posted a question on Bike Forums and the response was nearly unanimous - BIB SHORTS ARE GREAT!  The two sales people I talked to wouldn't ride without them.  Well if that is the case, I've got to try them out.

After some shopping around I picked up a pair of Specialized BG RBX bib shorts at Village Bike Shop.  A pair of Sugoi RS bibs were also a possibility.  I already use a pair of the Sugoi RS shorts and have been pretty happy with them.  I chose the Specialized bibs because the material seemed a little thinner and better for warm weather wear even though I was told that the chamois is also a little thinner than the Sugoi.  It also helped the Specialized shorts were about $15 cheaper.  Admittedly, a lower price always helps.

As a point of reference, I bought a size XL.  I am 5' 10", 210 lbs and have a 36" waist.  My trunk is  long and my legs are relatively short (you can call me Stumpy).

I won't really give my final impression on them until I do at least a century with them, but here are my preliminary impressions (I probably have put 150-200 miles total on them):

  1. The chamois does seem to be in the "proper" place.  As soon as I put them on, I noticed the chamois was positioned differently than with my shorts.  Once I was riding, it felt like the chamois matched my ischial tuberosities well.
  2. My second thought upon initially donning the bibs was, "Gee, I hope these straps don't chafe my nipples".  To this point, that has not been an issue.  A longer ride will tell me for certain.
  3. I had some concerns that I would feel hotter with the extra material versus shorts.  I'm not sure where I stand on this yet.  There have been times where I thought I was cooler with them and times where I have thought the opposite.
  4. There doesn't seem to be a lot of compression in the legs with these.  The description on the Specialized site doesn't specifically make any statements about compression.
  5. During the first couple rides, I noticed some mildly uncomfortable rubbing of "The Dude".  This never amounted to any serious issue and I haven't noticed it on the last several rides.
My next several rides will be with some of my older pairs of shorts so I can do a better comparison of shorts versus bibs.  At this point, I don't really know if bibs are worth the extra money.  My mind is not yet made up on the matter.  It is possible I would feel differently with a alternate brand of bibs but do I really want to fork over $100-175 just to test them out?  I have spent money or dumber things.

It is now January of 2012.  I have put many miles on the Specialized BG RBX bib shorts.  My overall impression has been good, but not great.  On my longest ride with them, I had to add extra Chamois Butter to avoid a saddle sore.  I have never had to do this the the Sugoi RS shorts.  For my tastes, the chamois seems to be a little too thin.  However, chamois thickness seems to be a very personal thing so that should not deter anyone.

On the topic of bibs vs. shorts, I have yet to see the real advantage to bibs.  My one pair is not that much more comfortable than the other shorts I have.  In fact, I find the straps and body of the bibs to be a little constricting.

This does not mean I have given up on them.  I feel like I need to try another pair.  Maybe the Sugoi RS bibs.  I might try a pair from Twin Six, mostly because I like the way they look. and they are cheaper.  It could certainly be that the Specialized bibs just aren't right for me.

Further Editing

I have now been using the RBX bib shorts for about a year.  During that time, I did get a basic pair of bibs from Twin Six.  As of my last update, I indicated that I wasn't sure whether I got much benefit from bibs.

Looking back, I have worn a pair of regular shorts, including my good Sugoi RS shorts, less than 10 times.  Why?  In reality, the bibs are more comfortable.  They keep the pad in a better position and they don't bind around the waist the way shorts do.  I'm just more comfortable in them.  Plain and simple.

As I look ahead to future purchases, I'm not even considering buying a pair of cycling shorts.  I'll go bibs every time.  This wasn't even really a conscious decision.  It wasn't a part of some grand plan.  Once I was used to them, they were all I wanted to wear.

For what it's worth, the RBX bibs are probably slightly more comfortable than the Twin Six bibs, but just barely.  I have ridden a century using both (with copious amounts of Chamois Butter) without any really chaffage or saddle sores.

No comments:

Post a Comment