My Motto

Hop on. Ride hard. Repeat



Friday, August 19, 2011

8/19/11 Bike Ride

35.4 miles
2:04:15
17.09 MPH
1619 miles YTD

Oh the difference a day can make.  Typically I wouldn't ride on a Friday after work.  It is the end of the week and I'm tired.  The fam and I usually hang out, get some food, and watch a movie.  Not this Friday.  Michelle and the kids are still in Midland with Beth and Tim.  They will be coming back tonight at bedtime.  An evening without the family can only mean one thing...BIKE RIDE!!!

I really didn't know where I wanted to ride today so I just took off and decided as I went.  The route eventually became a ride up 24th ave to 13 mile and then back.  I did this once last year on a hot and humid day and I just about bonked.  The hills I remembered where tortuous and continuous.  Well, they actually are pretty standard for the area and don't actually last that long.  It is amazing what affect the weather can have.  Today, I felt pretty strong and able to climb well.  No big deal.

One cool moment on the ride took place between 16th and 24th on Arthur.  I was riding west and I saw flashing lights up ahead.  Then a police cruiser headed past me going east.  Then another one passed headed east.  Both had there lights off.  There was still flashing lights up ahead.  What's going on?  A moment later I see that the cruiser with it's lights flashing is leading a group of 25-35 cyclists.  What is this and why don't I know about it?  It turns out they were the Bissell Pro Cycling Team.  Per their website, they have the Grand Rapids Cycling Classic tomorrow.  They must have been doing a light ride to get ready for tomorrow.  Bissell headquarters is literally about 1.5 miles from my house so I have to assume that is where they were heading for.  Pretty cool.  I thought about whipping around and tagging along with them but I have to assume that there "easy" pace is probably near my red line.  Oh well.  Maybe next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment