My Motto

Hop on. Ride hard. Repeat



Monday, August 1, 2011

How I ride

One of my recent posts was on why I ride so I thought I should comment on how I ride.  Actually, the "Why I Ride" post started out as the "How I Ride" post.  After a paragraph or two I realized I was describing the "why" more than the "how".  I gave a little switcheroo to the name and there you go.

First off, I ride hard.  That doesn't mean I necessarily ride fast but I'm almost always thinking "You can go a little faster".  I probably average 16-17 mph on a typical ride.  I don't do "leisurely" very well.  My wife doesn't like riding with me because I am always pushing the pace when she would like to be more casual.  I'm in it for the exercise, to burn energy and expend a few (or a lot) of calories.

Yes, I should ride at a leisurely pace more often.  It would be good for me, especially if I have done a long ride the day before.  For some reason, that is not the way I function.  The same thing happens when I take a walk or a hike.  I feel like I am always slowing down and waiting for whomever I am with.

Michelle describes me as "goal-oriented".  This is pretty accurate.  "We are at point A.  We want to get to point B.  Le's get to it!"  Why don't I relax and enjoy the scenery more?  I'm an idiot sometimes.  Actually, I'm an idiot a good portion of the time.  I think it comes with the "Y" chromosome.

Michelle's family likes to do things together even if that means not getting much done at all.  Drives me crazy.  I just want to get something done instead of dawdling around talking about what we are supposed to be doing.  With time, I have grown to accept this and I've gotten used to it.  For the most part.  It still drives me a little crazy.

Back to the subject at hand.  Even if I am taking part in a non-competitive group ride, there is always that little gremlin saying, "Don't let them catch you" or "You can catch up with them".  This is just the way I am.  Why fight it, right?

The area I live in has a lot of rolling hills.  Much of my rides are either going up or down.  I like it this way.  It is pretty challenging.  I do try to find flat rides where I can work on my speed more, but I usually have to ride hills to get to the flat areas anyway.

So, as a summary: get on bike, ride hard, repeat.  That is how I ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment