My Motto

Hop on. Ride hard. Repeat



Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Camlebak Podium Chill 25 oz Review

I've been using this water bottle for about a month now.  During that month, it has been hot and humid here in Michigan.  My motivation for purchasing one came from Hammer Perpetum.  For those who don't know, Perpetum is a carb/protein drink meant to be used on long rides or runs.  Perpetum seems to work pretty well but it does have one downfall.  It goes sour after several hours, especially if it is hot.  I have yet to taste sour Perpetum, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to.  The Podium Chill seemed like a good solution.  I didn't actually buy one until I found the 25 oz size.  I typically take in a lot of fluids during a ride so a 20-21 oz bottle didn't seem worth it.  When I saw the 25 oz bottle, I snatched it up.

Here is a link to the Camelbak Podium Chill website, as well as a picture.  Something tells me that if you are reading this, you probably already know what they look like but you get a picture anyway.


I have not taken any actual temperature measurements with this bottle but it certainly keeps fluids cooler.  This is especially noticeable if you refrigerate the bottle overnight and then add some ice right before your ride.  I only have one Podium Chill bottle so I use regular bottles for the first hour or two and then use the Podium Chill.  After one hour, the water will still be cool, but not cold.  After two hours, the water seems to be lukewarm (not really warm but not really cool).  That is good enough for using Perpetum or keeping your water from being hot.

I'm already a fan of the Camelbak bottle with it's Jet Valve top.  I don't have issues with leaks and it is easy to squirt water into the mouth.  They tolerate the dishwasher well and don't give off any funky smells or have weird, chemically tastes to them.  Several of my normal Camelbak bottles are several years old and still function perfectly without any "uncleanliness".  I have heard that Specialized has come out with a new bottle that is supposed to be better.  Maybe I'll try it and see.  Who knows, it might be even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment