My Motto

Hop on. Ride hard. Repeat



Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Opinions

You will find an occasional opinion from me as I post.  If you disagree with me on anything, that's OK.  I'm probably wrong anyway.

I almost never assume I'm 100% right on anything.  The world is far too complicated for something to be completely understood.  Most issues are too multi-layered for us humans to see all the different nuances and facets.  There are a couple of things I am as sure of as I can be, but that should be a different post.

Some will probably find this lack of "rightness" a little scary.  I'm a physical therapist in charge of the care of a wide variety of patient's with a wide variety of problems.  Shouldn't I be "right" at least some of the time?  My decisions probably fall into the "right" category more often than into the "wrong" category.  By "right" I mean that the results of the decision seem to be positive and by "wrong" that the results were neutral or negative.  Especially with what I do, there can easily be multiple different paths to the "right" decision.  This is where some medical professionals make a mistake.  They feel like they are "right" about a particular treatment or diagnosis and others are, therefore, "wrong".  It is not about you, it is about those you are trying to help.  If the outcome is positive, it probably doesn't matter much how you got there.  Just being pragmatic.

Here is the way I go about things.  I never assume I'm 100% right and I also never assume I'm 100% wrong.  It may not seem like it, but I avoid a lot of frustration that way.  If what I am doing is not working, then I try to find an alternative path.  It is the difference between moving forward and dwelling on the past.

 Also, when I feel I have acheived "right", I will often be proven wrong in the very near future.  Keeps you humble.  We all need that.

So, as a review:  1) I have opinions and so do you.  2) If you don't like mine, I'm ok with that.  3) If I don't like your opinion, you should be ok with that as well.  It's nothing personal.  It's just an opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment