My Motto

Hop on. Ride hard. Repeat



Thursday, July 28, 2011

7/28/11 Bike Ride

32.8 miles
1:57:45
16.71 MPH
1480 mile YTD

Typically I don't get to ride this far or this long on a weekday but the wife and kiddos are at a state park camping and I get a "Bachelor Night".  I got out of work early, hopped on the bike and took off.  Today's route was matching the last leg of the 100 Grand, which I did in June.  It follows Peach Ridge up to 14 mile and then turns west.  My goal was to see how far I could ride in 60 minutes and then turn around and see if I could make it back in an hour or less.  Strangely enough, I achieved my goal.  Normally I don't, on rides like this.  As I was heading north, it felt like the wind was at my back some so I was convinced the trip back was going to be slower.  I turned around at exactly 60 minutes and headed back.  In reality, the wind was mostly from the west.  This, of course, helped me on the eastbound portions of the trip and didn't seem to have any great effect on the south bound part of the route.  Overall, a very satisfying ride not least because I can kick back and relax afterwards.  I might even have a beer.  Scandalous!

One other thought that occurred to me while I was riding...I don't feel anywhere near as beat up after a long bike ride as I used to feel after a short run.  Two hours on the bike is less "stress" on the body than a 30 minute run.  Now, I know that cyclist can have issues with bone mineral density later in life (runners rarely do) but overall I like cycling way more than I ever liked running.

No comments:

Post a Comment