My Motto

Hop on. Ride hard. Repeat



Monday, July 18, 2011

Lets start with a movie review - Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows Part 2

Being a serious dork, I was at a midnight showing of HP 7 Part 2.  There was actually a funny feeling in my stomach as the movie began.  I had been looking forward to this for months (years, really).  By the looks of things, I was not the only one.  One of the Van Andel kids was there (the tall goofy looking one that is behind the Van Andel Institute).

I was for the decision to make the last book into two movies.  Sure, there are obvious monetary gains from it, but the last book was so thick with action and drama that two movies made sense to me.  Through the vast majority of the film I was having a great time.  There was great action and special effects.  There was funny little moments that made you laugh.  Some of the final scenes of the characters mourning over those who had died were well done.  Someone in the theater was actually crying.  Granted, some people have trouble separating fiction from non-fiction.

There were small changes to the story line that didn't phase me and helped to keep things rolling.  And then the final battle between Voldemort and Harry.  I really wanted it to be in front of all the assembled characters.  I wanted Harry to tell Voldemort he had one last chance and he just needed to show some remorse.  I wanted Voldemorts own Avarda Kedarva to backfire into him, killing him.  I wanted everyone to erupt in joy when they saw that Harry had finally won.  I didn't get any of this.  Woe is me.

This has happened before.  I came out of The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers actually angry with the production team.  They had butchered a wonderful book.  It took a second viewing to appreciate the movie for what it was, which was quite a good movie.  Admittedly, once I saw the extended version of The Two Towers I was like a gushing school girl again.

Do I need to see part 2 again?  Yes.  Will I love it.  Yes.  Will I love the ending.  Maybe.  We will have to see.

P.S. Oh, and I really wanted Harry to use the elder wand to fix his phoenix feather wand.  Sad face.

No comments:

Post a Comment