My Motto

Hop on. Ride hard. Repeat



Sunday, July 24, 2011

7/23/11 Bike Ride

30.2 miles
1:55:00
15.7 MPH pace
1447 miles YTD

Amazing!  I actually got to ride two consecutive days.  Quite unheard of.  It was certainly an eventful ride but I must start from the beginning.

Michelle and I had planned on on going to our friends, Matt & Sarah, in Hudsonville for the evening.  The plan was for us to leave once my son, David, had woken up from his nap.  I decided to leave early and ride to Hudsonville and possibly take some detours along the way.  I left at a time that I thought would likely get all of this there about the same time.  I was way off.

I rode down to the same set of trails I had been on the day before.  This time, I wanted to check out a scenic drive I was reminded of the night before at my sister's wedding.  Her wedding and reception had been at a building at the end of the scenic drive.  This scenic drive was typical in that it goes both steeply uphill and downhill and twists and turns considerably.  Quite fun on a bike, actually.  I rode this twice and then looked at the time and thought I needed to "waste" a little more time.  So I took off on a relatively short loop and then did the scenic drive one more time.  Just as I got to the same building we had been at the night before, I hear my phone ring.  I assumed it was my wife but it was actually my sister.  She and her new husband, Jeff, needed to drive a friend of theirs to Chicago to catch a plane back to Denver (he had somehow missed his flight out of Grand Rapids).  My sister wanted to know if her 3 kids could hang out with us for the night.  After talking with Michelle, we said sure, but they would have to drop the kids off in Hudsonville.

At this point I felt like I needed to get to Matt & Sarah's in a hurry.  Michelle and the kids were there earlier than I had expected and I wanted to be the one to meet up with my sister so Michelle could relax.  But it was hot out and my legs were feeling tired.  I took off and was pushing it pretty hard, despite having to ride into a headwind.  I have never ridden to Matt & Sarah's, so earlier in the day I had looked at a map and "memorized" a route.  Turns out that my memory is not as exceptional as I thought.  I'm not saying I got lost, but I was definitely "off-course".  Meanwhile, I had to stop periodically to make or answer phone calls.  Each time I stopped, I got hotter and hotter.  Eventually, I got to Matt & Sarah's and Michelle had already gone to the designated rendezvous point (McDonald's).  In short time, she was back with the kids.  Oh well.

The rest of the evening was fun, relaxing and fairly uneventful.  We had burgers, cupcakes, and later s'mores by the campfire.  Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment