My Motto

Hop on. Ride hard. Repeat



Thursday, July 21, 2011

Mike the Bike PT

Why did I chose that title for my blog?  It was a bit off the cuff.  I decided I wanted to write a blog, for some strange reason and the blog needed a name.  "Mike's Bikes " always had a nice ring to it so I added the "PT" at the end because my job is a pretty big part of my life.

It is about identity, I guess.  I love bikes.  I love being a PT.  My name is Mike (a fabulously ordinary name, by the way).  Add it all together and you get "Mike the Bike PT".

There are a few clarifications I would like to make.
1) Yes, I'm a physical therapist.  My specialty is orthopaedics.  I can effectively treat back pain, knee pain, neck pain, shoulder pain and a lot of other neuromusculoskeletal pains.  That does not mean I am an expert on bike fitting and set-up (although boy would I love to be!).  Because of my passion for cycling, I understand these matters better than the average PT so I am more capable of treating a cyclist than others but I wouldn't be able to look at someone and say "Oh yeah, a 55 cm Trek Madone with a 100 mm stem, 175 mm cranks, 3 degrees of varus tilt at the feet and 1.5 cm of saddle set back is exactly what you need!  With that set up you'll need a radar detector so you don't rack up to many tickets!".

Would I like to have that ability?  Certainly but, there are a lot of other more important things in life.  I played tea with my daughter tonight.  That gives me nearly as much enjoyment as a good, hard bike ride.  It is a different type of enjoyment, but enjoyment none the less.

2) On a different note, my job and cycling are certainly not the most important things to me.  Important, yes but definitely not the most important.  Here is a little run down:

  • Having a happy wife vs. bike ride - happy wife wins
  • Having a happy child/children vs. bike ride - kiddos win
  • Family or friends need help vs. bike ride - family and friends win
  • Church responsibilities vs. bike ride - God wins (doesn't he always?)
Those in the "win" category win because of a combination of love and duty.  Sure, I would like to take a bike ride everyday but I'm not single with no attachments.  My wife and kids need me and are best off when I play a BIG role in their lives.  There will always be time for cycling later.  Hopefully.  I do love to ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment