My Motto

Hop on. Ride hard. Repeat



Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Commuting gets easier the more you do it. Whoda Thunk?

Commuting to work by bike has become more common as of late.  It is likely a combination of good weather, an accomodating schedule and an understanding wife.

One thing I have noticed, and this really shouldn't come as a surprise, is that the process is getting easier.  The evening prior, I can usually get everything ready that I need for the next day in about 10 minutes or less.  That includes clothing, wallet, pen, pocketknife, phone, and the bike.  I know what I need and where it needs to go.

One worry I had had was that commuting by bike would take too much extra time and, therefore, take time away from my family.  That is a no-no for me.  I don't want to be "that guy".  Realistically, commuting by bike means I have to leave about 10-15 minutes earlier than I typically would and it probably adds about 15 minutes to my commute home.

In return, I get about 50 minutes of good quality exercise, I save on gas, save wear and tear on my car, send a positive message to patient's/co-workers/ the general public and I send a good message to my kids (that one is pretty important by the way).

The pros definitely seem to outweigh the cons.

Oh, by the way, it can be pretty fun too!  Most of my ride is through the city.  That means I can modify my route on the fly in any of a hundred different ways.  The focus required to ride safely and pick the optimum route makes the ride feel...adventurous.

On a ride home last Tuesday, I beat an Escalade from Michigan & Lafayette to Coit & Ann Street.  I had to laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment