My Motto

Hop on. Ride hard. Repeat



Sunday, August 11, 2013

My Daughter, the Rabbit

(Full disclosure - my daughter is not actually a rabbit)

Today was one of the first instances of me doing something with one of the kiddos and us both actually, truly, fully having a good time.  Up until today, all of the fun things that I like to do have been modified to fit the abilities of my kids.  This has been done in the patient expectation of "Maybe someday I'll be able to enjoy this too".

Hannah has been doing much better on her bike after a rocky 3 1/2 years.  The last two nights, she has taken a ride around the neighborhood with Michelle and really enjoyed the ride.  It wasn't FFF (forced family fun).

She doesn't yet ride very fast so I thought why not run along side of her?  I can get a good workout, she gets a good bike ride and we can do it together.  Where is the downside?  I cannot see one.

The first lap around the big block went pretty well.  I was definitely playing catch up towards the end.  Hannah was even doing a really good job of taking the sharp 90 degree corners of the sidewalk.  We stopped briefly after the first lap and decided to do a second.  Hannah took off with a giggle and I pursued with a smile.  This was cool!

We were both having fun doing something we really enjoy, at the same time, without the need for modification!  Fabulous!

By the end of the second lap, Hannah was a long ways ahead of me.  I turned the second to last corner and heard very familiar crying.

Hannah had biffed it as she crossed a street and skinned up her knee.  Poor Hannah Bear!  We got her cleaned up, band-aided up and hugged up and all was well.

I can only hope this is a glimpse of what is too come.  Hannah is the oldest.  David and Leah are growing older and bigger each day.

I eagerly await the day where I can say, "Wanna go for a ride?" and the response is, "Yeah sure old man but can you keep up?"

No comments:

Post a Comment