My Motto

Hop on. Ride hard. Repeat



Thursday, June 6, 2013

How I became a commuter

I've long enjoyed riding to work.  Typically, I only do it on Fridays because it doesn't work out well on other days of the week.  Maximize family time, ya know?

This week changed that.  Our minivan broke down on Tuesday, leaving us with just one vehicle.  In fact, I left work on Tuesday to rescue Michelle, David and Leah and then had to ride back to work.

By the end of the week, I will have commuted to work 3.5 times.  As you can imagine, I'm pretty pleased about that.  That will net me about 42-43 miles I probably wouldn't have rode otherwise.

This got me to thinking.  Gas prices are around $4.30/gallon right now.  If prices stay that way or go higher, riding to work more often kinda seems like a no-brainer.  It would probably save me about 3/4 to 1 gallon of gas per commute day.  That's somewhere between $3-5/commute day.  If I do that 2x/week over the next 12 weeks, we're looking at $72-120 in savings.  I could deal with that.  Money is tight everywhere.  Why not save a buck or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment