My Motto

Hop on. Ride hard. Repeat



Friday, September 9, 2011

9/5/11 and 9/8/11 Bike Ride

24.6 / 10.65 miles
1:30:15 / 38:00
16.35 MPH / 16.8 MPH
1770 miles YTD

Huh, I forgot to post on my ride on Sunday.  Things have been busy recently so you will have to forgive me.

Sunday's Ride: This one was a fairly leisurely ride up 6 mile to 16th ave, around to 24th ave and then down Leonard.  It ended at the Grand Rapids fish ladder, where I met my wife and her family.  Afterwards we went to San Chez for tapas.  Not a bad night.

Thursday's Ride: I was feeling a little masochistic, so I decided to do "The Loop" with the single speed.  That's right, climbing hills with a single speed (40x16 I believe).  Kinda dumb but pretty enjoyable.  One nice thing about riding the single speed is that you actually have more mental time to think about other things.  You don't ever have to think about shifting because there is no shifting to do.  When the hill gets steeper, you pedal harder.  Simple as that.  This does tend to give the quads a good burn.  You also get the benefit of some low cadence grinding and high cadence spinning with one usually right after the other.  The muscles and proprioceptors get some nice variety.  Variety is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment