My Motto

Hop on. Ride hard. Repeat



Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Writing, righting, rihting, wryting, ryeting

Recently, two different people told me I should write a book.  These were two completely seperate and independent persons with no known contact between them.

What?

Honestly, the idea intrigues me.  Imagine it...hours alone with just me and my thoughts trying to carefully craft words into something that a reader will find enjoyable.  Sounds like fun, which most likely means that it would not actually be all that much fun.  Our world seems to work that way.

If you look back at my post list, it is easy to see that my writing is pretty sporadic.  Occasionally I get inspired to punch something out and then I do.  Most of the time, writing never even crosses my mind.  A writer should want to write, right?

What on earth would I write about?  How about a book about fitness, health and diet written for the average joe?  Maybe a book about dealing with chronic pain?  How about a fictional story of a fat kid who grew up to be a PT and had three kids and a wife and really loves cycling?

Lame.

The odds of me becoming a writer are about as good as me becoming a pro-cyclist at the grand ol' age of nearly 40.

"If I just had the latest carbon fiber wonderfredsled and did intervals until blood bubbled up through the pores in my thighs from the incredible metabolic heat I created, I just might be able to do it!"

Why on earth would I want to become a writer anyways?  What is the motivation?

Fame?  Glory?  Admiration?  All of us want those things to some degree.  Seems like a crappy reason to chase a dream, though.

What if I did it to share?  To share knowledge.  To share thoughts.  To try to contribute something positive to our world, some little bit of warmth.

There is a thought that goes through my head just about every day.  The phrasing does vary from day to day but it usually sounds something like this:
  • Add, do not subtract
  • Don't be a dick
  • Be nice...you will sleep better at night
  • Nice guys finish last but at least our conscience is clear
  • This world is not your home, you are just a passin' through
  • Remember who you work for
  • Every human is a child of God.  Treat them appropriately.
I am no where even in the ballpark of perfect.  I treat others poorly on a daily basis.  But I am trying hard each day to be a little better than the day before.

Maybe, just maybe, writing could be one of those little ways of sharing a little warmth with our cold, dark, broken world. 


No comments:

Post a Comment