My Motto

Hop on. Ride hard. Repeat



Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Leelanau, oh Leelanau

Michelle and I just spent a weekend away as a celebration of our 10th anniversary.  We did what a lot of folks in our area do...we went up to the Leelanua penninsula to do some wine tasting and leaf peeping.  I know, how pretentious.  The Leelanau peninsula is a beautiful place, but it exudes pretentiousness from its every pore.

During our 48 hours of childless-freedom, we cruised around the peninsula, visited some wineries, stayed at a nice B&B, and did some shopping in little places mostly full of high-class junk.

Quite possibly my favorite part of the whole weekend was driving around some of the backroads of the peninsula in search of wineries.  It is fall and the colors were truly spectacular.  Most of thes roads amble up and then over the peninsula in a winding fashion that was just perfect for leisurely driving.

I was always a little distracted though.  I couldn't help thinking of biking.  Many of these roads would be fantastic for riding.

Long meandering climbs followed by fast winding descents the likes of which don't exist around western Michigan.  Around here the roads are pretty straight and the climbs are not very long.  In order to get a good workout, I often have to do hill repeats.  Find a decent hill, then ride up it and then ride back down.  Repeat until you are tired of it.

This would not be necessary up in Leelanau.  I think I could spend hours climbing up one road and then descending down another and then ride to the next lovely climb.  Most of the internal roads had little to no traffic.  The two main roads are M-22 and M-204.  Both would be good roads to ride on, but traffic would get a little bothersome.

Our next venture up that way will need to involve bikes or I might just go nuts!

No comments:

Post a Comment