My Motto

Hop on. Ride hard. Repeat



Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Go The Other Way

Today was an odd day.  It is mid-November here in Michigan and yet the temperature made it into the low 70s/upper 60s, with ample sunshine.  Starting tomorrow, the temperatures are more likely to be upper 30's with rain and/or snow.

The only logical thing to do is to take a bike ride.  That seems obvious.

Gimli is all set up for use on the indoor trainer so Sam the Singlespeed is my "outdoor" bike until next spring.

Where should I go?  How should I get there?  It is entirely possible that I won't ride outdoors again this year, so I thought I should make this ride memorable, in some fashion.  Big mileage was out of the question (not that I didn't want too, mind you).  What if I took a ride where I "Go the Other Way"?

I'm a creature of habit.  Ask Michelle and she will quickly and easily agree.  Sometimes I get stuck in a rut and ride the same basic routes over and over again.  What if I picked my route as I went and went the direction I don't normally go?  What if I took the road less traveled, as they say.

I won't list it out turn by turn, but I managed to have an interesting and satisfying ride where I travelled down roads I had never been on.  I saw some more of the NW side down by Lane Ave, Powers, and Butterworth.  I found where Kenowa ends on the north side of the river.  Pretty cool overall.

Come next year, I will have to do this more.  One of my favorite aspects of cycling is the ability to explore.  The exploration can be on open country roads or within a city like Grand Rapids.  There is always something else to see and paths to find that you never even knew were there.

No comments:

Post a Comment